Margaret Shield, PhD
Owner / Principal (pronouns: she/her/hers)
Margaret Shield is a policy consultant working to develop smart public policies to improve public health, protect our environment, and increase sustainability. She combines her background as a health sciences researcher with fifteen years of experience working on legislative and regulatory initiatives at the local, state, and national levels.
Margaret is a policy developer and strategist, a coalition builder, a communicator and advocate, a researcher, and an educator. She takes an evidence-based approach to policy development that also reflects her commitment to prevention, equity, and community values.
In 2016, Margaret launched Community Environmental Health Strategies LLC to help government agencies, non-profit organizations, associations, and businesses implement successful policy processes and achieve their policy and legislative goals.
Partial List of Clients
- Benton-Franklin Health District
- Clark County Public Health
- Jefferson County Public Health
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
- San Francisco Department of the Environment
- Skagit County Public Health Department
- Snohomish Health District
- Tacoma – Pierce County Health Department
- WA State Department of Health Commercial Tobacco Prevention Program
- Whatcom County Health Department
- Zero Waste Washington
“I am so pleased with our county’s Secure Medicine Return law and that we have a great state law now too. Margaret has been at the center of this effort as our policy expert and the tireless organizer of all the supporters.”