Margaret Shield, PhD
Owner / Principal (pronouns: she/her/hers)
Margaret Shield is a policy consultant working to develop smart public policies to improve public health, protect our environment, and increase sustainability. She combines her background as a health sciences researcher with fifteen years of experience working on legislative and regulatory initiatives at the local, state, and national levels.
Margaret is a policy developer and strategist, a coalition builder, a communicator and advocate, a researcher, and an educator. She takes an evidence-based approach to policy, systems, and environmental change that also reflects her commitment to prevention, equity, and community values.
In 2016, Margaret launched Community Environmental Health Strategies LLC to help government agencies, non-profit organizations, associations, and businesses implement successful policy processes and achieve their policy and legislative goals.
Partial List of Clients
- Benton-Franklin Health District
- Clark County Public Health
- Jefferson County Public Health
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
- San Francisco Department of the Environment
- Skagit County Public Health Department
- Snohomish Health District
- Tacoma – Pierce County Health Department
- WA State Department of Health Commercial Tobacco Prevention Program
- Whatcom County Health Department
- Zero Waste Washington
“I am so pleased with our county’s Secure Medicine Return law and that we have a great state law now too. Margaret has been at the center of this effort as our policy expert and the tireless organizer of all the supporters.”